Thursday, October 8, 2009

Update #22 on Peter

I missed a day yesterday. I probably won’t post every day now. There is still great progress, but the measured progress we see in Peter doesn’t lend itself to regular updates.

I wish to apologize for a couple more graphic lines in the last update. I understand that each reader will have a different threshold as to the level of detail they want to read or can read regarding Peter’s accident, injury, and recovery. I did not wish to even approach that threshold and certainly did not intend to cross it, but I did. Peter’s story is sensational on its own, it certainly doesn’t need to be sensationalized and I apologize. I edited out the lines in question.

I saw Peter walk with a walker on Tuesday night and he was gripping it HARD and adopted a “surfing” style… with one foot in front of the other the whole time. On Wednesday afternoon, I saw him again and he using a style more like regular walking most of the time. It is hard to use a regular walking style with a walker anyway… but in less than 24 hours he was already making progress. It is clear that the biggest problem Peter faces with mobility is not physical strength or communication with the brain, but balance. Peter’s balance is definitely a big issue right now, but he is getting better all the time. He now sits up without support for long times (20+ minutes). For those who visit Peter, we encourage you to try to help him take a walk across the room or to the bathroom about once an hour.

One way to look at Peter’s recovery is to compare his current status with his status right after the accident. According to this scale, it is easy to see improvement. There is so much improvement, that even the word ‘improvement’ doesn’t capture the scope of the improvement. Chris Sanford saw Peter last Friday and saw him again yesterday and the improvement was very easy to observe.

Another way to look at Peter’s recovery is to compare to “the old Peter”. Peter, if you are reading this, you are not old although you walk like an old man now! Using this scale , it is more difficult to assess Peter’s recovery, but I think it is still possible. When we consider Peter’s daily improvement in some task or skill and then imagine continued progress for a period of days or weeks, “the old Peter” comes readily to mind. For example, if Peter’s walking improves over the next 10 days at the same rate as it did over the first day he was walking, we probably won’t be worried about his walking any longer. I’ve seen nothing that causes me discouragement when looked at in this way. Even Peter’s hearing is improving each day in at least one ear.

So, no matter which way you look at Peter’s recovery, there is much to be happy about and to celebrate. Peter knows he is still in for a bit of a fight to regain all of his pre-accident abilities, but he has shown great determination to do what it takes to recover as quickly and as fully as possible.

I don’t have more info at this time, but do want to mention that Peter took his first trip to rehab yesterday afternoon. He went to the other building in the wheelchair and he was to start working on strength in his left arm and maybe some walking, too. I’ll try to let you know more about this in a later update.

7 comments:

  1. GO PETER!!!!!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT!!!! I Love you Bro. Still here for you.
    Jesse Veen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Scott - You don't know me, and neither does Peter - but from the fist alert to prayer I discovered on FB (I think), God has had Peter on my heart to pray for him, thus I have looked for these updates daily & expectantly so to know how to pray. I'm just another missionary living in TW - and I just so happen to be a mom with a son near Peter's age - regardless - God has called me to pray. So thanks for the posts. Just keep on being God's messenger. I'll meet you and Peter in glory one day. Just another m - called to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these updates Scott and for me at least I dont need any apologize for too graphic details. Anyway, I appreciate all your doing and conitnue ot read everything you post and keep Peter in my mind and heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though there is no guarantee that God will give "special protection" to those serving Him, there is a guarantee that He will be with them through everything. Good and Bad.

    God Bless,
    Meagan and Cailyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry if I offended anyone by saying I didnt need an apology from Scott. It was just my attempt to accept the apology in a nice way. No one needs to respond to this, I just felt I wanted to put it here.

    My heart and prayers and anythign else I can throw out is going out to you Peter, I love you bro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey we are very thankful for the updates and are glad your recovering well. We miss you and the time we spent with you while we were in Taiwan:) Luv ya and prayin for you all the time

    Meagan and Cailyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you, Peter, Claudia and all.

    - Betty Lockhart and family

    ReplyDelete