Sunday, October 4, 2009

Update #19 on Peter

I've had quite a day (unrelated to Peter's situation) so I'm going to rely on a recent update from Jen Reynolds and add a little at the end of her report since I just came back from seeing Peter.

FROM JEN:
Peter is starting to remember more things about the people who are visiting him, such as trips to the movies or out to ride bikes. I asked him why he was in Taiwan and he said 1) to study Chinese 2) to be a missionary. He remembered he lived on the blue line of the MRT but someone had to tell him what station was closest to his house. He gets frustrated because he can't remember names. He said it is like the names are locked in his brain and he has lost the keys.

When we asked him if he needed to go to the bathroom he said "I bet there's just people lining up to help with that job." It was nice to hear him use a little sarcasm.:-)

I was sitting by his bed working on a Bible study when he turned over and saw my Bible. He asked me what book I was reading so I told him it was my Bible and he could see it if he wanted. He took it and flipped through it and noticed Psalms. When I asked him what his favorite Psalm was he said "Psalm....2. No, Psalm 1." So I read it to him in English and Gary read it to him in Chinese. Then Gary showed him Psalm 23 and we asked him if he could read it. He tried but instead of saying it in English he kept trying to translate it into Chinese as he read. So Gary helped him read/translate it. After he was done he said "I like David's Psalms. They really encourage me."

When he ate supper he was able to feed himself with chopsticks using his left hand. I was surprised at how well he did. Tonight when Craig, Sam, and Jesse stopped by Peter knew who they all were and he knew that Peter Thompson was in America. He was telling them about the accident and he said "I got hit by some special sauce from a tornado or something." Then I told him it was actually a car, or maybe it was Craig. He said "Yeah, Craig probably hit me on purpose." Then he laughed and said it wasn't his suggestion that Craig hit him, it was mine. I asked him if he was trying to get me in trouble and he laughed again and said yes. It's so interesting because I feel like he knows me but doesn't remember me. Does that make sense? He knows how old I am and he said tonight that my Chinese is better than his, which is something he used to say before (which after hearing him speak this week might not be true!) and he knows I'm a missionary here but he doesn't remember that I'm his coworker. But at least he remembers my name now.

Today his friend Sally was there and when she would sit on his right side and talk in a normal voice Peter could hear her but when she would go to his left side he wouldn't be able to hear her.  I think that's really strange/interesting because he can't hear most of us on his right side but he could hear her. It has to be some kind of frequency thing. And he was able to pop his jaw back into place this afternoon when he would get lock jaw. So that's helpful if we don't have to call the doctor every 10 minutes!:-)

FROM SCOTT:
Peter now knows that he was in an accident. He understands that there is a reason for everything he is experiencing... the head wounds, the pain in his shoulder, the hearing loss, the dizzyness, the memory problems, etc. Although Peter talks about being in an accident and he talks about things "before the accident" and "after the accident" he can't remember anything about the accident although I have personally told him upwards of 10 times in the past week. He does remember soccer practice, Chris McCain breaking her arm, being very tired, and what we ate for lunch at my house on Saturday before his accident on Tuesday morning. That was the last time I saw Peter before the accident. If any of Peter's coworkers or friends saw him between Saturday afternoon and the accident, maybe you can ask him about that time and see if he remembers. We are curious where his memory stops.

Almost all the funny things Peter says now are on purpose... telling jokes and kidding around.

It was interesting to be in the room when Sarah and Dr. Peter visited Peter this afternoon. These two men named Peter are now connected forever, but had not met face-to-face until today. When we told Peter how Dr. Peter helped him, Peter was gracious as always. He is getting an idea of the scope of his injuries and the great effort put forth by many people to help him through this time. He is grateful.

Peter asked for his computer today. I want Peter to read this blog and your comments in his own time, but considering his progress to this point, he could be reading about his story very soon.

I have some pictures to share, but will have to wait for another update.

If I could take a bit of liberty with Peter's blog here... Taiwan is currently awaiting the arrival of at least 1 and maybe 2 typhoons in the next couple days. Typhoon Morakot caused a tremendous amount of damage back in August. People are frightened by these impending storms. Please pray for safety and peace here in Taiwan. Thank you. Bless you.

7 comments:

  1. It's so good to hear his Peter humour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, I went to school in Moberly, Missouri when Jen Reynolds was just a little girl but I heard of your story through her and facebook. I want you to know that I pray for you every day and I know that the Great Healer hears my prayers. When I first started reading this blog, I shed tears because I thought that your injuries would be insurmountable. Now, I shed tears of joy because you are reminding me that God can fix anything. Keep that humor coming, brother. Laughter heals all of us. God's blessings to you. Jon Popham

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great thing to hear that Peter is being very sarcastic these days. Peter and I met in early 1997. Peter and I became very close friends almost immediatley because of our similar personalities. (He is a very loving and caring person. How could you not Love this guy.) I do have to tell you, the first day I met Peter he was so sarcastic about things I wasn't sure to punch him or Love him. (Peter knows exactly what I am talking about and the things he said the first night we met) I am glad I chose to Love him. Hopefully when he is able to read this post, he will remeber those days and I know he will laugh at this. We still talk about those days almost every time we get together. The reason why I shared this little story of Peter's sarcasim with you is because it tells me that he is the road to 100% recovery. Thank you Lord for this. I Love you Pete.
    Jesse Veen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to that Jesse. He just needs time to heal. Also praying against the typhoon.

    Blessings,
    christie g.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Scott,
    I actually found out about Peter from my boyfriend's Grandma of all people. They live in Joplin and know someone who was there when the accident happened received an email and she mentioned it to me in passing. All of this to say, we're all praying for him and the rest of you as the storms approach.

    Lots of love and prayer-
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for Taiwan, even as it rains here in Japan I know that typhoons are approaching there. Praying for you too, Peter.

    ReplyDelete