Thursday, September 24, 2009

Update #4 on Peter

Thanks again to everyone for your encouraging words for Peter and those of us here who are trying to help him somehow.

Peter's mom, Claudia, arrived tonight from LA. We took her straight to the hospital. Before she went in to see Peter, she patiently hugged each person who was there in the waiting room and then listened to Dr. Peter (from update #2) explain Peter's condition for her. When she and Dr. Peter went into the ICU to see Peter, many of us left for home because we didn't know how long she would be there and there was nothing we could do. Jennifer Reynolds waited so she could take Claudia back to Chad & Alicia Edwards' apartment to get some sleep tonight. I don't know if they are there yet, but this was the plan when I left the hospital. Craig was going to sleep at the hospital in case he was needed. We try to have people there around the clock.

I only have 3 things to share about Peter's status.
  1. Tonight I heard Dr. Peter say that Peter's skull fracture was 10cm long. This is a very large fracture and it sounds awful. It actually can be a blessing because such a large fracture means that the energy from the impact was largely absorbed and dissipated by the skull instead of by the brain. It also means that the impact was extremely harsh. We hope that the skull absorbed enough of the impact that the damage to Peter's brain is zero.
  2. They took a routine CT scan this afternoon and the image shows that there is no blood on Peter's brain. This doesn't mean that there won't be in the future, but when the CT image is combined with the fact that Peter's brain pressure has remained low, it is a good indication that the doctor has successfully dealt with the initial trauma and that Peter is stable.
  3. In part because of this positive CT scan, the doctor plans to go ahead with the original plan to stop (or lessen - I can't remember for sure) the sedative at 7:30AM on Thursday and allow Peter a chance to "wake up" on his own. Peter's response could tell us many things... or it could tell us almost nothing.
We'll keep you posted as best we can.

In the comments from the last update, someone asked for more info about Peter. It makes sense to share some because many people who have never met Peter or don't even know of him have found this blog and are now following his story and praying for him. Someone please correct me in the comments if I have any of this wrong.
  • Peter is from California, USA.
  • He is 28 years old.
  • He is not married, but as you can see in the picture, he is 100% hunk.
  • He loves mountain biking (or any biking actually).
  • He's like the energizer bunny... keeps going and going.
  • His mom and stepdad and his dad are all in California. Peter has 2 sisters and they are in New York.
  • He is a picky eater and has somehow turned this fact into an endearing character trait.
  • I'm not sure of the timing, but I want to say that Peter has lived in Taiwan for about 3 years. He knows so many people and works so well with everyone that it seems like it should be longer than that, but I think it is only about 3 years.
  • He is a hard worker and this has paid off already in learning Mandarin.
  • He is in a time of transition from language acquisition ministry to other ministries and seeking God's direction for the future.
  • I suppose Peter only has one "best" friend... but many would say that Peter is their "best" friend.
  • He lives in Banqiao.
  • He has the spiritual gift of encouragement (among others).
  • He is currently helping as a soccer coach for kids 4-12 years old on Saturday mornings.
Now I've lost control of my emotions again because I had not yet thought of how "Coach Peter" won't be on the pitch with us this Saturday. I'll end here as I need to go get some rest. Bless you all. Hug your kids. Hug your parents. Hug your friends.

14 comments:

  1. balling like a baby reading you talking about Pete... thanks a lot :)

    Love you Pete.

    ~adam and Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Adam and Lindsey, it made me laugh (the "Super Picky Eater" part) and cry when I read this.

    Love,
    John and Adriene

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to add that Peter:

    - laughs like his life depends on it
    - prays like he's on holy fire
    - listens like it's the most important thing he's ever heard
    - loves like he knows he is loved
    - and last but not least...he dances like he's got J-Lo and salsa running through his veins!

    Love you, Peter.
    (Thanks for posting this, Scott...you're helping more than you know!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott - you are posting GREAT information. Thank you for taking the time to explain things so fully. I am a detail junkie, so I really appreciate the updates. I can tell from your posts that you are taking really good care of Peter. Tell him that he is dearly loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter is also:
    - A man who works harder than anyone to acheive his goals
    - has overcome many obstacles already in his life to become a great man of God
    - He absolutely loves to study the Bible, mostly the OT becuase He feels many Christians disregard it too much and it explains the whole NT
    - He reads things like the Armana Letters from Ancient literautre jsut for fun
    - He likes to stay up until 3am every night to learn more about the Bible
    - He is never satisfied with teh level of His Bible knowledge, He must always know more
    - He first went to Taiwan a few years ago on a short term trip. There is a temple called Tutegong (Earth God Temple) that Peter went to and God grabbed his heart to return to Taiwan as a full-time missionary. He spent 2007 in Taiwan, came back the the States in 2008, and the beginning of Dec. 2008 me and Him went to Taiwan together and he has been there every since, though I cam eback to teh States in May 09'
    - Peter loves learning about anything and everything, mostly the OT, ancient history from the 1st Century Greco-Roman World, seriously he does
    - He is also the Man that taught me TO pray
    - He is a great roomate, and my time with Him in Taiwan was some of the most special time in my life
    - Peter is a picky eater but has seen this as an opportunity to show God's power in changfing that to enable him to eat wierd things so this doesnt hinder his work for God
    - He loves to just follow up on any news going on around the to pray about it and connect it all to what God is doing around the world
    - And there is so so much mroe about Peter

    Every part of me is there in Taiwan with you Peter except my physical body...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peter sure sounds like a wonderful man of God, one who is loved by many, and a man after God's heart. It breaks my heart to reading all of comments and this blog.

    Lord, comfort those who mourn. Bless Peter's mom and give her the strength she needs to get through the day. I pray that you would heal Peter and bring him into recovery. Lord, we know that your Kingdom is a much better place but please if it is your will let him "wake up" on his own. We know that you have plans for Peter so Lord help us to be able to withstand our own emotions and let you have full control over Peter's life and our own. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are praying here in Japan for Peter. May the Lord use this situation for His glory.

    The Shields

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Peter,

    I'm keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery and for God's healing -- may God work this to His Glory. God works all things for the good. Keep the faith.

    Peter Merz

    ReplyDelete
  10. For Peter:
    If there is one of my friends that I aspire to be like the most,it's you Peter, and I mean that. You truly are a man of God. I have never met anyone so genuinely passionate for serving the Lord.I know Jesus thinks so highly of you, and is standing with you through this. Everyone in Joplin is praying for you because everone in Joplin loves and cares for you. The reason we love and care for you so much is because you have loved and cared for us so deeply. I know that you have taught me to love better, and you're a great friend. I'm praying to Jesus for a quick and full recovery!
    I'm also praying for everyone in taiwan who is at Peter's side, and his family. Thank you for updating this blog and keeping us informed.
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  11. We haven't met Peter yet, but our family is following this blog and praying together for him!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life is so very fragile and yet God is so VERY powerful. I knew Jennifer Reynolds when she was too young to know who I was. Alex Cobb is my pastor now. We have about 600 prayer warriors here who are speaking Peter's name to God daily. Thank you for keeping us updated and allowing us all to be part of this incredible miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can someone kindly tell me the hospital and room number that Peter's in. I am in the U.S., but my cousin would love to help in anyway possible, turn turns to watch him, bring him stuff or just anything.
    Thank you, Scott, for the updates. It brings us hope and light to see the progress of Peter. He is constantly in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Sheree how should we get the hospital and room number to you? my email is spagel - at - teamexpansion (dot) org

    ReplyDelete